Author Topic: Right Ascension Midpoints  (Read 14124 times)

Offline Glaucus

Right Ascension Midpoints
« on: April 18, 2011, 07:26:43 AM »
RIGHT ASCENSION MIDPOINTS

Both Magi Astrologers and Cosmobiologists use midpoints. They don't just use the midpoints in ecliptic longitude. They also use the midpoints in Declination which is equatorial latitude. There is another coordinate that can be used,and it is Right Ascension which is equatoral longitude. If both ecliptic longitude and declination midpoints are relevant to Astrology, then why not Right Ascension midpoints? Right Ascension and Declination are the coordinates that astronomers use to plot the position of celestial objects. Therefore, both Right Ascension and Declination can be used in Astrology.

There is an astrologer that uses both Ecliptic Longitude and Right Ascension:

"3-Dimensional Chart Calculator

Now you can finally see your astrology chart undistorted by flat 2-D displays. StarWise 3-D astrology lets you understand yourself and your life much better than all other methods. One flat chart falsely shows your true planet positions--just like flat maps do to our 3-D earth's true shape. Our 3-D astrology accurately shows the true 3-D layout of your planets in your chart (forecast, etc.) as they really are in our actual 3-D universe--not squashed into some misleading, incorrect shape.

The only way to see the true 3-D layout of your planets is to view your chart (...etc.) from two key perspectives (ecliptic + right ascension). As any scientist or engineer knows, this is the same correct way 3-D objects are always shown--using two or more views like top/front/side. The only better way would be a holographic display--yet to be invented.

You may have seen your chart (forecast...) from the standard single viewpoint--ecliptic. Now this new and exciting second viewpoint--right ascension--finally reveals all of who you really are. Both viewpoints are correct, just like front/top/side views of any 3-D object. The combined meaning of both views of your chart (forecast, etc.) reveals all of you, total reality versus just half the picture.

3-D astrology looks at your life with both eyes open, not half-blind like the "one-eye closed" (ecliptic) approach currently in use everywhere else. 3-D astrology offers you the best insight and knowledge possible about yourself and life. You can use this new, more accurate information to make better decisions and thus grow more successful and happy."

http://www.starwise.com/FreeChartsPlus.html

Philip Sedgwick points out the inconsistency and mixing apples and oranges when it comes to the use of Declinations with Ecliptic Longitude and that Declinations should be used with Right Ascension:

"Another flaw in astrological thinking quickly emerges. Astrologers often use declination when defining the north/south range of an object relative to its longitudinal or zodiacal position. This is like mixing apples and oranges, since the reference planes are not the same.

Longitude, more commonly the degree of the zodiac - measured from the Vernal Equinox eastward relative to the ecliptic - goes hand in hand with latitude, which bears the same circle of reference. Latitude refers to north/south range in degrees from the ecliptic to the object as measured along the circle of celestial latitude through which it passes.

Right Ascension, the position of an object in either degrees or hours, measures from the Vernal Equinox in the easterly direction, referenced to the celestial equator. Declination defines the range of a body in degrees north or south from the celestial equator as measured along the hour circle through which it passes.

Using declination with longitude combines reference planes offset from one another by an average angle of 23 degrees and 27 minutes."

Clairvision Astrology notes the following:

"Right ascension charts – what they mean

How does the meaning of a right ascension chart differ from a normal chart?

To answer this question, some say that the celestial equator is a more 'earthy' reference than the ecliptic. This makes sense, for the celestial equator is the projection of the earth's equator on the celestial sphere, while the ecliptic is the path of the Sun.

Consequently, they regard the right ascension chart as an indication of how a person manifests the potentialities of their 'normal' (longitude-based) chart into their life. From this perspective, the 'normal' chart shows potentialities; the right ascension chart shows how these potentialities are likely to manifest in real life. Hence the motto: right ascension chart – manifestation chart.

For instance, if an aspect or a cluster of planets is really critical in a person's chart, you may want to look at their right ascension chart to see if the aspect is also present, and if it is any different.

In astrological readings, it is not rare to see people who are not like their chart! For instance, one sees charts with beautiful potentialities which are not translated into the reality of the person's life. The right ascension chart may give clues as to why and how, and also clues as to how to manifest what is in the chart.

From these indications, you may also deduct that the right ascension charts of solar returns may be quite interesting, since when doing predictions you are precisely trying to determine how influences will manifest in real life."
http://astrology.clairvision.org/static/astrologymanual/Right_ascension_and_declination.html

Astrologer Dwight Ennis wrote an article about coordinates, and he made the following remark at the end of the article:

"While we, as astrologers, use Celestial Longitude divided into the Zodiac to define horizontal coordinates, astronomers generally use Right Ascension. As with Celestial Latitude, measurement begins with 0° corresponding to the point of the Vernal Equinox. However, where Celestial Latitude measures counter-clockwise, Right Ascension measures clockwise from this point, with the measurement being expressed either in degrees, minutes, and seconds of arc, or in hours, minutes, and seconds of time. In any event, it is still a system which used the Earth as its center of reference. Why that's logical and okay for astronomical measurement, but irrational and not okay for astrological measurement is beyond me!"

http://www.astrologyclub.org/articles/ecliptic/ecliptic.htm

Good point. The use of Right Ascension is logical and okay for both astronomical and astrological measurement.

A visual of Right Ascension and Declination and other coordinates:
http://astrologysoftware.com/resources/vastrology/ecoord.asp?orig
http://www.astrologyclub.org/articles/ecliptic/ecliptic.htm

Youtube videos on Right Ascension and Declination
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYOVclQXYXI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqPtMqw6CSo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9DerFu9eOc&feature=fvwrel

You can calculate your Right Ascension chart here: Please note that it's a zodiac equivalent chart. For example my Moon is in 334'24 in Right Ascension, and that is equivalent to 4'24 Pisces
http://www.true-node.com/eph1/

Then you can calculate your Right Ascension midpoints with the following midpoint calculator
http://www.noendpress.com/pvachier/midpoints/index.php

There are some good midpoint interpretations here:
http://john-sandbach.blogspot.com/2010/11/midpoints-4.html

The following are my Right Ascension midpoint pictures that aren't present in my Ecliptic Longitude chart.
I only looked at the direct midpoints (conjunction,opposition) within 1 1/2 degrees. I use 1 degree if they involve Pluto.

Sun conjunct Neptune/Pluto - '33
A person who is highly aware of and conscious of extremely subtle energies, which can potentially have a debilitating effect on their energy, or, when harnessed and directed, an uplifting, harmonizing and vitalizing effect. A person who is intensely idealistic about their goals.

Sun conjunct Venus/Uranus - 1'13
One feels it is important to relate to others in a free and open way. One long-range objectives are based on one's own individual values, which may be quite different from mainstream ones.

Moon conjunct Jupiter/Saturn - '42
To blow moral issues out of proportion – that is, to feel strongly like one should or should not do something, but to imbue the issue with such emotional energy that needless guilt is the result. To feel bad about not disciplining the self enough. One feels secure when working steadily and persistently on a project.

Jupiter conjunct Mars/Ascendant - '16
Enthusiasm expressed with assertiveness. Confidence in one's ability to get things done.

Node conjunct Uranus/Midheaven - '56
To connect with people who will appreciate and respect one's individuality and independence. In this lifetime one is learning how to be one's own authority.

Neptune conjunct Node/Ascendant - 1'11
The ability to see the subtleties of how one's identity has been formed by one's past, as well as to perceive the hidden and/or concealed energies that have formed one's sense of self. The development of one's intuition tends to help one to see oneself in a new, more expanded and more spiritual way.

Moon oppose Neptune/Midheaven - '27
The emotional need to have a career you can really feel dedicated to. Your ability to intuit how to spiritually advance yourself comes and goes, and you need to be sensitive to these cycles, so that you know that even though you sometimes feel not so spiritually connected you will experience a deeper connection soon. When you feel emotionally down you may get into negative imaginings about your career.

Mars oppose Venus/Midheaven - '30
Taking the initiative to spread love and beauty in the world. One asserts oneself based on a respect for the highest values. Working to disseminate that which is of beauty and value to the world.

Mars oppose Mercury/Midheaven - 1'24
Mars: The desire to find out the ideas that are most right and true. The desire to base one's actions of spiritual ideas. The tendency to justify what one does by pointing out the rightness of one's ideas.

Midheaven oppose Moon/Ascendant - '05
One's career involves helping others to realize how their emotions and subconscious form their identity, and how clearing out the emotional body can release unneeded limitations surrounding one's self-concept. A career having to do with relating to others on a feeling and/or instinctual level.

Midheaven oppose Pluto/Node - '22
What you are needing to work toward in this lifetime is the making of connections with life in general and other people specifically that are intense and transformational and which serve to further your evolution. The spiritual light pressures you to connect with it, which creates stress until you give in to it and are then empowered by it.

I am curious about other people's Right Ascension midpoint pictures. Please let me know how you feel about yours.

Offline saturn

Re: Right Ascension Midpoints
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 12:14:24 AM »
I think the thing that most astrologers either forget or are unaware of is that astrological influences are spiritual influences, not scientific, astronomical, or engineering influences. Yes, there is math involved. Yes, there are angles, of which some are meaningful and others which have no apparent meaning. Apparently the ancients somehow seemed to know that latitudes and right ascensions didn't really "work" and that for whatever reasons (which we are unaware of today) longitude and declination DO "work". I don't like the idea of dismissing thousands of years of observation, nor do I like the idea of ignoring the instruction of spiritual astrologers who have tried to teach us how spiritual astrology works. Yes, I admit that it is interesting as to why we ignore RA's and latitudes - we want everything to make sense. But let's not be too eager to toss all kinds of past knowledge away on another dreamed up possible "gimmick". In my experience I have seen very few charts using longitude that do not "work". You may have to dig deeper on some, but if the digging is done "properly", then longitudes do seem to give the answers. But, hey, we didn't know Uranus existed out there at one point in time, then we found out he did. So we keep researching and see if the facts fit the premises. I think it too early to say anything definite on RA's at this point in time. And of course, it is possible that RA's have more to do in "predictive astrology" than they do in natal chart analysis. Have we done enough research in that area? Probably not.

Offline Glaucus

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 05:17:18 AM »
I believe Right Ascension works in both natal and transits as well as even Solar Return. I even believe that it works in synastry.

I believe that they even account for aspects that seem to be out of orb which are in orb whether it's natal, transit, synastry, solar return.
There can especially be big differences when it comes to Pluto and its fellow transneptunian dwarf planet/candidates.

for example
I have Pluto trine/sextile Midheaven with 2'32 orb in Right Ascension,   but it's over 9 degree orb in the Regular chart.
I have Sun oppose Sedna with 44 minutes of arc in Right Ascension, but it's 3'15 orb in the Regular chart.

Right Ascension transits can account for transits that seem to start earlier and end later.

Right Ascension stuff can be spiritual too.  Just because an astrologer uses Right Ascension doesn't mean that they are not into spiritual dimension of Astrologer.
For your information, I am actually into Evolutionary Astrology.  I even use the planetary nodes like Jeffrey Wolf Green does. He uses them in Evolutionary Astrology.

I like to consider both science and the metaphysical
That's easily seen with my t-square of Moon in Pisces square the opposition of retrograde Saturn in Gemini in 9th and Neptune in Sagittarius in 3rd
as well as Mercury-Venus-Neptune contraparallel Saturn

I would even dare say that my 11th harmonic Isosceles trapezoid of Mercury,Saturn,Uranus,and Sedna with its corresponding mipoint pictures of Mercury oppose Saturn/Sedna midpoint with 16 minute orb, Sedna oppose Mercury/Uranus midpoint with 17 minute orb is my main indicator of seeing both scientific and metaphysical perspectives as well as my multidimensional thought processes.

the 11th harmonic is said to be rebellious,unstable, and just overall Uranian influence.  Adze said said that it's even associated with computers,technology,and psychic stuff. Zane Stein said that it has do with social conciousness.

I don't really put much belief in what ancients say.  Ancients actually used parans which involve horizon coordinates long before they were using the ecliptic.  Also There was once a 16 sign zodiac. Times change.
I don't follow the mainstream.
That's why I don't even consider Pluto a planet any more.  I think that it's just a transneptunian dwarf planet.  I give equal weight to Pluto's fellow dwarf planet/candidates.
I want an Astrology for the 21st Century, and that's where the 21st Century transneptunian dwarf planet/candidates including especially Eris come in.

It's no wonder.  I have very strong 21st Century transneptunian influence when you consider the regular chart, right ascension, declination,   and the nodes of the objects.
My Sun in Scorpio oppose/conjunct Eris Nodes (Geocentric,Heliocentric) in Taurus/Scorpio with 10 minute orb  shows that I am not meant to go with the status quo which can make me highly controverisal. I have a very strong personal connection to collective diversity,equality,and discord.  As a "Scorpio", I didn't care about Pluto's demotion from major planet to dwarf planet. I was actually glad, and I thought it was about time.  I was even more glad that Ceres got promoted to dwarf planet ,and so was finally made Pluto's equal.  Ceres was classed as a planet for 40 years before classed as an asteroid. Now Pluto got the same treatment as Ceres.   I have Mercury biquintile Eris with 6 minute orb, and that indicates my thought processes are in a creative link with diversity,equality,and discord. My thought processes don't go with the status quo.  My Eris in Aries R in 8th sextile/trine Midheaven/Imum Coeli with 1'01 orb  indicates that my career and domestic environment involves diversity,equality,and discord.

There are obviously astrologers that believe that Right Ascension works in Astrology period like the Clairvision Astrologers and the astrologer that talks about 3D Astrology.

Maybe it's my neurodivergence of Dyslexia,Dyspraxia,ADHD with its multidimensional thinking,perception,views that just prefer a multidimensional Astrology system that goes beyond looking at the sky like it's just a piece of paper. I prefer to look at things from multiple views and angles.

There are some people that don't believe Solar Returns work, but there are others that do.

There are people that don't believe zodiac signs work and that they are best used as reference points, and they just use the fixed stars. I know an Australian Astrologer that's like that.  Some astrologers don't believe in use of tropical zodiac, and they use the Sidereal Zodiac instead.

There are people that are into Heliocentric Astrology like Philip Sedgwick.  It's not less valid than Geocentric Astrology.

I guess it comes down to  what astrology works for him or her.

You're right.  Uranus wasn't known at the time when ancients were doing Astrology.  Neither was Neptune nor Pluto.
Pluto's fellow transneptunian objects weren't known when Astrology was being practiced in the 20th Century.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:02:32 AM by Glaucus »

Offline Barbara Ybarra

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 06:29:50 AM »
Hi Ray.

If I didn't use any other tools in astrology except the ones that I now use I'd be happy with them for the remainder of my days.

But…

I would love to see a facsimile of planetary configurations in 3-D.  I checked out that website and of course was disappointed that there is no full-color image of the night sky with moving graphics, or stop frame, or whatever.  Silly me.

Pshaw.

Barbara Ybarra   

james m

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 07:50:24 AM »
glaucus - kudos on an excellent post! diversity scares some folks.. different approaches and ways of seeing - different perspectives basically) can be challenging to some, but i have found myself always drawn to them... maybe it's an innate curiosity, or maybe it is just that many of the 'pat' answers presented in astrology don't work for me.. the logic seems flawed and comes at the cost of ignoring a lot of other factors that i am unwilling to ignore... the discovery of eris, or the change in status of ceres and pluto are very relevant to astrology as i see it, as it chiron... one of the reasons i have never personally got fixated on the nodal axis of the moon is it strikes me as unbalanced a community of astrologers would embrace the moon's nodes but completely ignore the nodal axis of other planets without a thought to it... maybe it is that conventional thinking needs to be upended from time to time and it isn't something a lot of folks are willing to consider become they have become settled in their views on how and what to use for their astro synthesis of charts..

i think it is also fine for those who are comfortable with a certain set of astro tools and techniques to continue to work with them and leave out other ones that they aren't ready or interested in exploring too... some folks are into exploring new ground and others aren't! kudos to you for exploring different ideas and having the desire to share these same ideas here..

now who is the person  Adze?

thanks - james

Offline Glaucus

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 07:53:46 AM »
I want to point out that Clairvision School, who believe in the use of Right Ascension as the manifestation chart, is actually a spiritual organization.
Clairvision School.

I also want to say that even though I agree that the use of Right Ascension is valid in Astrology,  I disagree with it was the manifestation chart. I believe that all coordinate charts can be manifestation charts.   When I read things written by astrologers, I will tend to agree with some things and disagree on others.  I will take what people say with a grain of salt.  I take a look at things myself.  There are many astrologers that say that certain things don't work, but I believe that that they do work.  There are many astrologers that certain things work, but I don't believe that they do.   That's how I approach religion and politics too.    There is no black and white for me.  I am all about the gray.

This is from their site.

First created in Australia in 1987 and now offering courses all around the world, Clairvision is a school of meditation. The school has also developed its own style of alternative therapy revolving around the inner space of meditation: Clairvision Inner Space Techniques.

Rather than trying to offer a little knowledge to a lot of people, the school's focus is to give meditation training at a high level. The school is about substance and direct experience, not cheap talk. It favors depth and integrity over quick fixes and easy solutions. Its main asset is the maturity of its members. During its twenty years of existence it has rarely advertised, growing mostly by word of mouth.

http://www.clairvision.org/about-us/index.html

According to their site, this is how they approach Astrology:

Astrology Clairvision style

Clairvision-style astrology is designed to accompany a work of self-transformation. It has been developed to foster intuition and self-discovery. An essential part of learning astrology is the study of your own chart, in every possible modality and drawing style. Each new way of drawing your chart is a mirror and the opportunity to reflect upon a particular aspect of yourself.

Seeing yourself through astrological eyes, a new light is cast on a number of your choices and actions. New facets of yourself are revealed and aspects of your essential nature are highlighted. Powerful keys for self-transformation are highlighted.

Read the Clairvision Astrology Manual

From the practical to the philosphical, heptagrams to harmonics, the precession of the equinoxes to self-knowledge.

Including:

Why stargazing is a must for astrologers.
    How practicing astrology builds spiritual vision.
    Learn how to use astrology to find Time Windows for personal transformation.

http://astrology.clairvision.org/index.html

To sum it up,   Clairvision School is a spiritual organization.  It approaches Astrology in a spiritual way.  They even believe that Astrology can be used for self transformation and foster intuition and self-discovery.  They also believe that we need to actually look at the sky to truly grasp Astrology in a deep way.  Therefore, their using Right Ascension doesn't rule out their spiritual approach to Astrology.  

BTW  Kepler and Solar Fire Astrology programs can calculate Right Ascension charts.  I use both myself.   I use mainly Solar Fire though.

and

Offline Glaucus

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 08:24:15 AM »
Hi Ray.

If I didn't use any other tools in astrology except the ones that I now use I'd be happy with them for the remainder of my days.

But…

I would love to see a facsimile of planetary configurations in 3-D.  I checked out that website and of course was disappointed that there is no full-color image of the night sky with moving graphics, or stop frame, or whatever.  Silly me.

Pshaw.

Barbara Ybarra   

I respect your views on that.

I would love to see a 3-D display of the chart.    I checked out the website,and I was disappointed too. 

I have Starlight Astrology software created by Bernadette Brady.    It's a program that does that.   I wish that there was an update to include other objects like the asteroids,centaurs,and transneptunians.   It's mainly used to look at star parans.   Those are mainly used with only the luminaries and the traditional planets.

I  like having my tropical Sun in Scorpio in constellation of Virgo.   My Sun is not in Libra constellation even though it's in Libra in Sidereal Zodiac.   When Sidereal Astrologers get dogmatic and preachy, I point out that the sidereal zodiac is not the same as the constellations for the constellations are 13 unequal constellaitons and the sidereal zodiac are 12 equal signs. Of course, I point out my Constellation Sun Virgo.

I like my tropical Moon in Pisces being in the constellation of Aquarius.  It's even in both alignment and paran with alpha Aquarius star, Sadalmelek.  Benadette Brady said the star has to do with fortunate associations.   Brady wrote for Moon-Sadalmelik: good, or fortunate associations: one's creative work is well received. Beneficial friendships

I like my tropical Mercury and Venus in Scorpio in the constellation of Libra.   My Mercury is in alignment with beta Libra, Zuben Elschamali.  My Venus is in paran with that same star. 
Brady says that star has to do with social justice/reform which involves personal motives.  I think that it makes sense.  I support the Neurodiversity Movement, knowing that it's not just standing up for neurodiversity rights of others but my own too.    After all, I am a neurodivergent. Of course, I will be a neurodiversity advocate. It's more important to me to help others. 

Bernadette Brady wrote for  Mercury-Zuben Elschamali: imposing one's views on others. One's desire for good mixed with one's belief about what is correct for others.

I have to say that applies to me.  After all,  Neurodiversity Movement is highly controversial.  Most people believe that neurodivergence is a disorder that needs to prevented,eradicated, cured,and/or treated.   From their point of view, my advocating for Neurodiversity  which include mental reform and social reform would be imposing my view on others and having a desire to believe what is correct for them  even though I am just standing up for the rights of my fellow neurodivergents who want their neurological wiring to be accepted and tolerated as normal variation of human condition.

Bernadette Brady wrote for Venus-Zuben Elschamali:  To feel strongly what is right and what is wrong. To have strong opinions about fashion,social customs,or acceptable behavior within society.  social customs are challenged

That applies to me too. It fits with not only my neurodiversity advocacy but also my belief in social liberalism. tro